Monday, May 13, 2019

Chapter 8-3


Damn, please don't be positive. I don't need this right now.



I sit in the bathroom anxiously awaiting the results of the test. Am I really pregnant? My body tells me that I am, but I'm desperately hoping that I'm just imagining things.

The display updates, and survey says...'pregnant'. F***. What am I going to do now?




I stay there a bit longer, watching the display, hoping it will change or that the word 'not' would appear in front of 'pregnant'. Maybe it's a false reading? Maybe the test is still analyzing? Who am I kidding? I know it's correct. I can feel it. I just didn't want to believe it. I'm going to be a mom.

I throw the test away, and head for my room. I felt sick, and my head was spinning. How am I going to tell Huck? Does he even want children? 



I just lay on my bed for awhile, then Huck gets home. He comes into the room, and crawls into the bed, seeing that I'm upset.

Huck: Something wrong, babe?
Indigo: I don't feel well. And I-I...
Huck: You what? You wanna go see the doctor?


 Indigo: *shakes head* No. I-I'm pregnant.
Huck: Then why are you crying? Isn't that a good thing?
Indigo: I don't want a baby. And I didn't know if you did.
Huck: Well, in case you want to know, I love kids, so I think this is great news.
Indigo: Really?


Huck: Yes, really. Come on, Indi, it won't be all that bad. Sure it's not the best timing, but children are a blessing. You should be happy. Plus, you're parents have been hounding you about having kids, right? They'll be ecstatic.
Indigo: Yeah, I guess you're right. I just...what if I'm not a good mom? What if the baby doesn't like me?
Huck: Don't be silly, Indi. You'll be great; I just know it. And I'm here to support you every step of the way.
Indigo: Thanks, Huck. I love you.
Huck: Love you too, baby. So...when are you going to tell your folks?


Indigo: Soon, I guess. For now, I just wanna be with you.
Huck: Whatever you want...Mama.
Indigo: Oh, please, no.
Huck: *smiles* You know you like it. 


 We stayed that way for awhile and eventually fell asleep. I was secretly hoping I'd wake up and realize it was all just a dream. Sadly that wasn't the case. I was going to be a mother whether I liked it or not.

I told my parents the next day, and as Huck predicted, they were thrilled, though shocked, by the news.


Not even long into my pregnancy and the cravings have already started. Being a vampire, that means my thirst has increased significantly. I was downing several blood packs a day. Huck walked in when I was feeding, and I just realized that I had never told him my little secret. Oops.


Huck: Indi...what are y-?

He stops in his tracks as realization hit.


Huck: Wait...you're a vampire?
Indigo: Uh...yeah. Sorry, I guess I never brought it up.
Huck: No, you seemed to leave out that little detail.
Indigo: You're not afraid?
Huck: Of you? Never. This just wasn't what I was expecting to see when I came into the room.
Indigo: You're awfully calm for someone who just discovered their girlfriend is a vampire, or that vampires really exist for that matter.
Huck: I already knew they exist.
Indigo: Really? How?

Huck: Well...this is awkward. I come from a long line of vampire hunters. It's in my blood. I was trained at a young age how to kill them. When I was 12 I was attacked by a vampire, bitten. My parents went after the vampire for revenge and were killed when they unknowingly entered a 'nest.'
Indigo: Whoa. I-I'm sorry to hear that. It must've been hard.

I could tell that he was going to talk some more, so I lay on the bed since I was tired of standing. He lays next to me, hand on my shoulder, and continues.


Huck: After I was bitten, my body started to transition. I was scared and alone. I didn't know what was happening. Family friends found me and took me in...
Indigo: But you're not a vampire, so how...?
Huck: Well, midway through the transition, it just...stopped. We were astounded; we have no idea why it just stopped. Maybe it's my bloodline, we still don't know.
Indigo: Wow, that's weird. I've never heard of anything like that before. I don't think my parents have either.
Huck: Because of this sudden stop, I never became a vampire, but I'm not technically human either, just kinda stuck in the middle. My eye has looked like this ever since then. It's confusing I know, and I really can't explain more than that, because I don't get it. I'm a freak, and I'm stuck like this.


Indigo: Well, I like your eye. It makes you unique, and I dig that. Has anyone asked you about it?
Huck: Not as many people as you'd think. There were a couple; I just told them it's just heterochromia, and they bought it.
Indigo: That's good. So did you gain any abilities through the partial transition?
Huck: A little bit, yeah. I have the enhanced senses, the speed, the strength, and the ability to learn quickly.
Indigo: Sounds like you got a little bit of an advantage over other humans, huh?
Huck: Yeah, I guess you could say that. I got the 'pros' of being a vampire without having to deal with the thirst. I eat food like humans, and besides the eye, I don't have any physical characteristics that people associate with vampires.
Indigo: Lucky. It's not easy to keep a low profile.
Huck: Yeah, I never really thought about that.
Indigo: So...with this baby...how will this work...genetically speaking?
Huck: No idea. You're guess is as good as mine.


Indigo: Alright, enough vampire talk. Let's just relax.

Huck: Sounds good to me. We don't want baby to get too stressed out in there.
Indigo: *giggles* Agreed.

I was surprised to hear about Huck's past. I never would have guessed he went through all that at such a young age. His story did explain a lot, like how I couldn't sense him as a human or a vampire. There's definitely a different vibe to him that I'd never experienced with anyone else. Maybe that's why I felt so attracted to him?

....................................................................................................................................................................

It started to become obvious that I was pregnant by the fourth month, and things were looking up. I was actually starting to be excited about the idea of parenthood, something I never thought would happen. Maybe my maternal instincts have finally kicked in.


Huck: Indi, I want to ask you something.
Indigo: Okay, sure, what is it?
Huck: I was wondering...do you want to get married? I mean with a baby on the way...
Indigo: Ummm...Huck, I'm sorry, no, not right now. I just want to worry about the baby right now. Maybe after he/she is born, we can talk about it, okay? I love you... a lot, I'm just not ready for that level of commitment yet. I mean, this baby wasn't exactly something I was expecting, ya know?
Huck: It's fine, Indi, I understand. Just know that I'm ready to do it whenever you are. 
Indigo: We'll see. I'll leave it at that.
Huck: Suit yourself.

I was really surprised that Huck was already looking to get married. We haven't been together that long. I think I'll take him up on his offer eventually, that is if he still wants to after the baby arrives. 


 At seven months, we found out that the baby is a girl. Huck is very excited about the baby; I've never seen him smile so much. Whenever I am around, he starts beaming with happiness. 


 These later stages of pregnancy have been tough, but at least it's almost over. The closer I get to the due date, the more and more I can't wait to meet our daughter.

 For now we just need to be patient. The baby will be here before we know it.
 <-- Chapter 8-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 9-12

A year after the miscarriage, Chantilly and Obsidian are officially young adults. And I'm happy to announce that are expecting...